UPDATED: EYBA and COVID-19
UPDATE: As per the Alberta Chief Medical Officer's recommendations we will be cancelling the Mites Tournament on March 14th.
At this point this is the only event cancelled, the remaining events are pending and to be confirmed at a later date. Please stay tuned to the website as new information becomes available.
To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, Alberta has implemented new public health restrictions.
The following events should be cancelled:
- Events with more than 250 attendees.
- This includes large sporting events, conferences and community events.
- It does not include places of worship, grocery stores, airports or shopping centres
- Events with more than 50 attendees and expects to have international participants, or involves critical infrastructure staff, seniors, or other high-risk populations
EYBA’s position on COVID-19 (coronavirus) as of March 12, 2020
All Edmonton Youth Basketball events, programs and tournaments will proceed as scheduled.
At the present, the risk to Albertans from COVID-19 (coronavirus) has been categorized as LOW by Alberta public health officials.
To reduce the risk to our members, we are updating our game protocols:
- Coaches/Players/Staff are advised to NOT shake hands with anyone before or after their game, teams should instead line up facing each other and applaud. Teams are also advised to turn to the officials and applaud.
- All Participants should wash their hands prior to and at the completion of each game
In order to assist with containing the spread of COVID-19, we encourage the following:
- Stay home if you feel unwell
- Frequently wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, an alcohol-based hand sanitizer may be used
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
- Follow good respiratory hygiene - cover your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze (dispose of tissue immediately)
- Keep at least 1 meter distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing/sneezing
- If you have COVID-19 symptoms and have travelled outside Canada or were exposed to someone who has COVID-19, stay home and call Health Link 811 for instructions
- Do not go to a health care facility without consulting 811 first. If you need immediate medical attention, call 911 and inform them that you may have COVID-19
For up to date information on the Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) you can use the following links:
The Government of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/coronavirus-info-for-albertans.aspx
Alberta Health Services: https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/topics/Page16944.aspx